Xtranormal Movie

Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'm really tired, but...

11:30 pm

I've been working on our final document - it's huge, but I've learned how to make an automatic Table of Contents!  I didn't really realize how much I had learned, but going through the review helped bring it all together in an organized fashion.  God bless you, Shaun!


Today, Maurice went through some information on security.  I was familiar with most of the content, but I found the Honeypot concept to be really ingenious.

Rocky's words now:

Lyle then had us go through the process of installation a virtual machine onto one of our client stations.  Basically the protocol was:
  • Install Magic Box
  • Install Virtual Box
  • Install the Virtual Box Expansion pack
  • Using the Virtual Box program
    • Make sure the Settings were set for Linux system and Red Hat
    • We had to ‘mount’ the ISO for CentOS
    • Then we ran the ‘start’ command in Virtual Box
  • After installation we ran the CentOS software
  • We had to adjust the DNS for the system – once done, we were able to go out onto the internet.
There are many different virtualization programs available for download, but it was really interesting to see one in operation.  (Can you sense how tired I am?  I have really used the word "really" a lot - really!!)

Overall, today went well; we get by with a little help from our friends.  We even felt good enough about it to give each other a high five!

8:30 am

When my eyes are somewhat open, things take on a different perspective.  I have come to the conclusion that network administration is closely related to chasing rainbows.  Lyle has had 15 years of experience at his job, and has had time to learn what he tried to cram into two weeks of morning classes.  And we also learned that setting it up doesn't mean that it will stay set up.  Lyle gave up two weeks of holidays to be our fearless leader, but he also was on call for his division and spent a lot of time troubleshooting what he had set up.  The community of users makes life a lot easier, once you know how to find what you are looking for.

I want to thank Lyle and Maurice for giving me the opportunity to learn what I have learned.  They showed phenomenal patience with Rocky and me and we truly appreciate it.  I was reminded what it was like to be a student, and I will remember them as I am teaching my own classes and working with my colleagues.

I also want to thank Rocky, who suppressed many desires to choke me.  In some respects, I learn like my own students; I jump in feet first and then paddle like crazy.  But it helps - because I've already made the mistakes and fought my way through.

It's been a blast, and I'm sorry to see it all end.  I truly hope that our cohort (and the instructors) will be able to maintain contact in the coming years.  Maybe we should start planning our 5 year reunion now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment